Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Subway Essay Content

Per contest rules:

Contest is open only to legal US residents, over the age of 18 with children in either elementary, private or parochial schools that serve grades PreK-6. No home schools will be accepted.

Home schooled kids have been out-performing public school kids in most areas of competition. I guess it's getting too embarrassing for the propaganda merchants, ergo this "contest" which eliminates them.

I thought this was cute too:



... have fun writing the story together.

Gee I wonder how many kids will submit their very own efforts?

Reminds me of the Cub Scouts racer derby contests -- my kid made the car himself, while other kids had engineer fathers who made works of art the kid couldn't even touch. Guess whose car didn't even go all the way down the ramp and whose cars were fleeter than the wind.

After the first fiasco, my engineer/model enthusiast brother gave him some pointers and even offered to make the car for him, but my kid said no, he'd try to do a better job himself. He still didn't win the race, but he had the satisfaction of improving on his first effort.

6 comments:

Bret said...

I cringe everytime my children come home from school with assignments that require parental "help". It usually means several hours of work for me.

erp said...

Bret, I don't get it. When I was in school, my parents didn't even speak English, so their help wasn't an option. I had a desk in my room where I did my homework sans radio or phonograph. Worked out okay for me because I learned to rely on myself.

My kids had desks in their rooms and never asked for, nor would have received, help from us had they asked. Worked out okay for them too.

Yet, like you, they seem to be required to help with assignments. My 10 year old granddaughter goes to one of the best private schools in the country yet she requires parental help even calling upon grandma to solve particularly puzzling math problems. I tell my daughter, I wouldn't supply the answer except I know she would be up all night trying to figure it out and I want her to get some sleep also I must confess it's like old times when my brain kicks in even if only for a brief moment in time.

What would happen if you refused to "help"?

Bret said...

Then my children would be unable to turn in their homework and would suffer consequences.

erp said...

What happens if a parent can't to the 5th grade lesson?

Bret said...

erp,
I'm having trouble deciphering your recent comment/question.

erp said...

Sorry, typo.

I meant, what happens if a parent can't do the 5th grade lesson?