Thursday, October 11, 2007

Smiling Keyboard




















My new laptop/notebook arrived and when I opened it, I was dismayed to note that it was smiling at me. As I installed and updated and spent time transferring files, etc. it became apparent that one of my favorite saying, "Keep smiling, it drives the b*st*rds crazy" was backfiring, since now I am the b*st*rd who's being driven crazy by this smile.

I'm a very fast typist, in fact, I've been called the Scott Joplin of the keyboard, so having the letter tiles on a curve isn't just slowing me down, it's doing damage to those fragile few synapses still firing.

Otherwise, it’s fast and has all the features I want and probably some I’ll never find out about or need.

If I return it, I'll have to go to Vista and get two new printers, a new Office suite, new virus protection and I don't know what all else. Then it's unclear if I can just copy over my data files and multitudinous photos, etc. Then there's a whole system to learn . . .

Opinions and suggestions desperately needed – Please.

10 comments:

Hey Skipper said...

Ummm ... get a MacBook?

erp said...

Too late now.

Oroborous said...

You were at one time looking for a source of organic, free-range, grass-fed beef; U.S. Wellness Meats fits the bill: www.grasslandbeef.com

Susan's Husband said...

I have tried to think of something helpful, but I think you're just SOL unless you're willing to get a new laptop. As for transferring files, I have had my new computer for about 18 months and haven't finished.

erp said...

SH, thanks for your concern. We'll work out something. My husband doesn't type, so this laptop may replace his old desktop PC and I'll bite the bullet and swtitch to Vista. Did I just say that?

monix said...

I don't know if this might help - I'm very one-handed since breast cancer treatment and found the regular keyboard difficult to use. I was given a plug-in smaller one without the extra numbers etc to the right of a regular keyboard. You might pick one up in an accessory store. I've had mine for a few years now but I'll try to find the details.

erp said...

Good suggestion. I could get an auxiliary keyboard, even a cordless one, but I drag my laptop around everywhere. It's really my auxiliary brain where words I can't remember are stored and from which I can extract what used to be readily available in my head.

If it hasn't happened to you, and I fervently hope it never will, you can't imagine how frustrating it is not to be able to conjure up simple words, so I actually have a file dedicated to those words that seem to constantly elude me, like “renew” as in renew library books. For some reason, it’s fleeting as is the spelling of rather simple words. I thank Google every day for suggesting alternate spelling for words I can’t remember how to spell, i.e., “disparate.”

Susan's Husband said...

I thought about an auxiliary keyboard but unless you go for a full docking station those turn out to not be as useful as you might think, because you can't get the keyboard close enough to the monitor.

But if you want to look in to that, just go to a Best Buy and they'll have a dozen or more different keyboards you can try. You can also go out on the web to places like Cyber Guys to get all sorts of interesting keyboards. There are also places with high end keyboards, although the one I used to use seems to have gone away.

Mike Beversluis said...

FWIW, you can still get computers with XP, and that's what I would do.

erp said...

I did order the new laptop with XP Pro. It's also Vista ready should I decide to go that way in the future.

According to Office Depot (I find them to be the most reliable of the big box electronic stores), they can no longer order computers with XP.

Our local computer tech ordered the Acer because that's only one she found that had the option of XP.

Not the end of the world -- just another frustrating irritation.