Sunday, October 19, 2008

Mind Games













This is a long fascinating analysis that's well worth your time.

Grab a cup of coffee and start reading.

A lot of what 's been puzzling you about this campaign will start to make sense. I remember these psychological tests when I was in school in the 50's, but they weren't held in high regard probably because the ed biz had moved left by then and the last things lefties want is for their techniques to become public knowledge.
Two campaigns are being waged right now for the presidency of the United States. No, I'm not talking about the Obama campaign and the McCain campaign. I'm talking about the real-world campaign and the meta-campaign.
The real-world campaign involves speeches and proposals and facts and scandals and political positions and news events. These details, however, are becoming increasingly irrelevant, and have become subsumed by the meta-campaign, which consists of perceptions, polls, reactions, analyses and summations. Until very recently, elections were decided by real-world facts -- but not anymore. Facts and events in and of themselves are no longer important; what's important is how everyone reacts to them. And how do we find out the public's mood concerning this or that incident? Why, the media tells us, that's how.

[...]

Conclusion

Now, it could very well be that, after all is said and done, Obama will indeed win this election -- I can't predict the future any better than can anyone else. The Obama campaign and its supporters are also engaging in many other strategies (unrelated to the exaggeration of his popularity) that have likely been effective -- such as blanketing the airwaves with advertisements, disparaging McCain, insulting Palin, and so on. The unabashed and unapologetic Obama boosterism from the traditional media certainly isn't hurting either. In prior elections, candidates worried about an "October Surprise," some last-minute revelation or scandal that threatens to realign the entire race. But in 2008, two or three October Surprises seem to be cropping up every single day, and there's no reliable way to predict what will happen next (other than that the media will try to emphasize the anti-McCain news and downplay the anti-Obama news). And it may be that less than 50% of the population was ever interested in voting for McCain in the first place, and that an Obama victory was a foregone conclusion long before the campaign even began; I simply don't know. However, if Obama does win, it will be IN SPITE OF the counter-productive antics of his supporters, not because of them. I feel that all the exaggerations and bias polling and online poll-stuffing and comment-spamming have only served to increase a desperate come-from-behind energy in the McCain campaign, and induce a sense of complacency and inevitable victory among rank-and-file Obama voters. However: If McCain wins, then Obama's supporters will only have themselves to blame.

Will the exaggerations become a self-fulfilling prophecy, as assumed, or are Obama supporters spinning further and further away from reality, constructing one unsupportable exaggeration on top of another -- only to be stunned on election day when the actual results, once again, don't match either their pre-vote opinion polling or their post-vote exit polling?

Yet it may very well be that an army of glum, dispirited and pessimistic conservatives will reluctantly trudge to the polls on November 4, each one imagining they are the only remaining person in the entire country voting for McCain, and lo and behold -- they'll turn out to be a silent majority after all.

2 comments:

Bret said...

I read that too.

Unfortunately, in my opinion, politics is more likely to be an informative mind game than a normative mind game. The available information is terribly imperfect, so I think there is a tendency to let others' opinions convince you. We'll see though.

I live in California so my vote won't possibly matter. You live in Florida, where it might actually count, so please vote your conscience!

erp said...

Your vote for president may not matter, but your vote in local and state elections may. I plan to vote for Republicans down the line.

I'm hoping that when people are alone in the voting booth, they will vote for what they know is the correct option like the student in the Asch experiment who knew the correct answer, but didn't want to disagree with the majority publicly.

It's sick, but the best we can hope for now.